AAK INTERNATIONAL STUDENT DESIGN COMPETITION
Sustainable Modular Residence
Modular design or also known as modularity in design has over time grown to popularity especially amongst those seeking to offer affordable housing. The architectural style that cropped up during the mid 20th century has proved to be an efficient and effective means to provide shelter, decent shelter. The mode of construction can be described as a concept where modules are manufactured in a facility and later fitted or assembled to form a structure.
This competition will seek to offer sustainable building options to cater for the fast growing need for decent housing in Kenya and other countries facing the same situation.
The Commonwealth Association of Architects celebrates its 70th anniversary this year and in commemoration to this, the student’s design competition will be open to all willing participants across the world in universities recognized and affiliated with CAA. The awarding and recognition of the winning teams will be done during the CAA General Assembly 2019 hosted by The Architectural Association of Kenya.
AAK seeks to foster collaborative working in design via multi-discipline teams presenting an entry for the competition broadly under the 2019 Convention theme of “Building blocks and the Built Environment” and specifically competition sub theme “Modular Sustainable Design”.
The competition is open to teams comprising students of the following built environment professionals Architects, Engineers, Quantity Surveyors, Landscape Architects, Town Planners, Construction Project Managers and Environmental Design Consultants.
Type of Competition
The Competition is organized as a building and/or housing design project for middle level college and university students across all Common Wealth Countries. The official language shall be English.
Objectives of the Competition:
- Scaling the size of the house up and down.
- Replaceable and/or additional components.
- Customize-able form factor depending on client preferences and site needs
- Easy construct-ability, technologically and time wise.
- Materials and services critical for a green building.
Teams are encouraged to precede conceptualization with investigations of relevant case studies, and explanation write-ups/ video on the existing scenario and intervention approaches.
SUBMISSIONS AND PRESENTATION MODE
Interested applicants to register and submit entries to convention.aak.or.ke , including
requested personal particulars, within the time limit set. All physical submissions will be
delivered at the AAK offices (see website for location) before or on the final submission date.
- – PDF drawings/ scanned work (A1 Portrait paper size as per the requirements below)
- Microsoft Word documents/ PDF for essays on A4 papers.
- Images of physical card model.
Prepare a combination of any three (3) of the following for adjudication:
- Architectural and structural drawings (floor plans, sections, elevations, isometrics and
perspectives) – A1 papers, concept sketches,
- Descriptive Essays (600-word essays).
- Construction and/or fabrication cost estimates
- Videos (interviews, animations and descriptive narrations)
- Cardboard models on base plane and height not larger than 500mm.
Schedule of Activities
|1st June – 22nd July 2019||Registration of Teams & Submission of Entries|
|25th July 2019||Announcements of Shortlisted Entries|
|14 August 2019||Exhibition of Shortlisted Entries|
|14 August 2019||Announcements of Winners.|
Prize money & an opportunity to attend the 2019 AAK Convention at Sarova Whitesands Resort, Nyali.
- A panel of at least three judges will judge the competition entries. The decision of the panel of judges (acting reasonably) will be final.
- By entering the competition, entrants confirm that they have read and agree to be bound by these terms and conditions, and by the decisions of A.A.K., which are final in all matters relating to the competition. Any breach of these terms and conditions will result in the forfeiture of the prize. No correspondence will be entered into.
- The winning entry may be subject to minor alterations or adjustments by A.A.K. including, but not limited to, in order to ensure practicality of use.
Student currently attending middle level colleges or universities. Each team to comprise of at least 4 members representing different professionals in the built environment. AAK will seek collaboration with several suppliers to collaborate with the winning team in building a life size of the smallest module of the their concept.
The following persons are excluded from participation in the Competition:
- Jury members or their relatives.
- AAK council members
- AAK secretariat members
By Entering This Competition All Entrants:
- Assign To Us All Rights (Including Present And Future Copyright) To Their Entry And Their Publicity Materials In All Media (Including, Without Limitation, The Internet) And Whether In Existence Now Or Created In The Future.
By Submitting A Competition Entry, You Represent, Warrant And Undertake To The A.A.K. That You’re Entry:
- Is Exclusively Your Own Work And Does Not Comprise Or Incorporate Any Copyright Or Other Intellectual Property Rights Owned By Any Other Person;
- Is Not Defamatory Or Immoral; And
- Does Not Infringe Any Third Party Rights And/or Any Agreements To Which You Are A Party.
Termination Of Competition
A.A.K. Reserves The Right To Cancel, Alter And/or Amend The Competition At Any Stage If Deemed Necessary In Its Own Opinion And Entirely At Its Own Discretion, Or If Any Circumstances Arise Outside Its Control.